Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Getting ready for Big School

This morning the girls and I were driving to Story hour at a local Community Center. Recently Sophie has had big school on her mind quite a bit (ie Kindergarten). Apparently her new preschool teacher has been telling/warning her class that Kindergarten will be way tougher than their current set up. That is NOT sitting well with Sophie. I am not too happy that the teacher is telling them this, especially when you have a four year old that will worry for eight months about something if given the chance. We are already concerned about her August birthday party in her mind! Anyway, I have been trying to just blow this off making sure Sophie is aware I will have her ready for school, that she knows so much already from her former preschool teacher that we absolutely love and miss as a teacher that she will be months ahead when time for her big debut at school.

So, that leads to this morning's conversation. We were listening to the radio and she just said hey mommy? I think I will be ready for big school. I immediately have to stop and think about WHAT she is getting at here. I ask why she knows her readiness. Here are her guidelines for being in Kindergarten:

- knowing your full name
- know where your mommy is
- know how to buckle your seat
- be able to open your own juice boxes and cereal bars
- eat and enjoy the red part of apples ( I guess her preschool teacher doesn't enjoy peeling apples)

We have all but the last task mastered. And she *thinks* if she hangs around her older cousin, who is in first grade and already likes the red part of apples, she might like them soon too. you truly can't argue with some of the logic she has.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom of two adorable girls, two un-adorable dogs, and a wonderful husband.

Followers