Monday, December 17, 2012

So....

So last night after a day of Christmas choir performances, an early family Christmas lunch,  and watching the Grinch,  I had to tell my first grader a watered down version of a tragedy that took place miles and miles away from us.  But even seeing the snippets of news that I have caught over the weekend, it feels like it was our little bedroom community school.  We had to tell her something because today our school is allowing kids to wear green to honor victims.   I'm mad I had to tell her anything, but not at our school for honoring those sweet first graders and teachers that look just like our first graders and teachers.  I'm mad because it is an event that happened.  Lee and I debated whether to say anything, probably like the other 600 kids' parents, but you want your kids to hear things from parents, not other kids. I'm mad that at church yesterday I saw our principal singing in the choir and half our teachers smiling at our kids as they sang, and I'm mad that every parent in our Sunday School was tears eyed looking around, just like us, transposing those faces we have seen on TV on our own school staff.

She asked a few questions, did the school lock down, like they practice at her school, was the mean man gone, were people hurt.  We answered truthfully, but I was relieved to say the mean man was gone.  I'm impressed with the fact Sophie understood that we not only pray for bad things to go away, but we also pray when good things come our way.  And we did last night.

So,  today. I got her ready and am cleaning up our elf's mess. I am turning on the lighs to our six trees, thanking God I go overboard for my girls.  Because even though I had to shed a little adult ness on her six year old mind, I can do everything in my power to let the good take over her mind.  That's my job.  If it is overtime on my part, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom of two adorable girls, two un-adorable dogs, and a wonderful husband.

Followers