We are in the midst of toddler Hell... otherwise known as swimming lesson month. Seriously, it's awful. We went through it with Sophie when she was three. That first time you are forced to make a fun past time a learning experience, and you have to trust some lady with bad hair with your life as you hold your breath and try to learn a stroke. Sophie used to hide in the bathroom at the Bell Road YMCA, just to avoid her turn at jumping in the training pool. Well, that was a breeze compared to Harper.
We started Monday with the official lessons. Although we swam practically every day the week before with no fear, Monday there was fear. She did a great job of watching her sister as she is now learning to swim with correct form. She watched her friend Darby jump in, although scared, and kick her feet. Harper did just as the teacher asked Monday. Lee and I both heaved a huge sigh of relief, knowing Harper's attitude, that if she wanted to do something she would. Tuesday, she did not want to swim. Or Wednesday. Or Wednesday night when I took her to a friend's pool to practice.
Thursday morning Lee was back in town from a trip and I strongly encouraged( actually begged) him to take them one morning. I don't want to force anyone to swim if they were scared. I got a call after her lesson that she can swim. I tried to upload our video, but it won't. But she swam the width of the pool, perfect kicks, and screaming every third breath. She only screamed every third because she has figured out that that is the only feasible time for her to breathe, because she has to have air to go under water. I can't WAIT to see how she swims with that extra air when she quits screaming!
When not screaming at swimming, we have had a busy few weeks! We had a friend invite us to a painting/pool party date. The girls got to paint mermaids and swim, and had such a great time!
We have been dying to introduce the kids to our new laser tag place in town, and after swim one day we met my sister and our buddies Charlie and Gus. The Laser tag man let us walk in the arena with the kids before and during our play time. Words cannot describe how hilarious it is watching kids ages 3-8 run around an arena with fog, black lights, and laser guns. They all picked up the game very quickly, and had some high scores! I cannot wait to go back when I can play!
No comments:
Post a Comment