This week has been a long, for lack of a better word, crappy, week. Labor Day was nice, but I have had a nasty cough that finally had given me enough trouble. So, after wrestling 30 3-year olds at the first installment of Cherub Choir Wednesday night, I joined the masses at our local Pri-med for a glimmer of hope from the doctor that I would soon be better. I must admit, after dealing with Cherub Choir, where half of the children did not want to be there, half were comparing items found on the bottom of the chair, and the other half just being 3, the chance to sit in a waiting room by myself was a little nice. After X-rays and tests, I was told this was a classic case of bronchitis in my chest and that only time and rest would heal it. Awesome, because everyone has plenty of time and plenty of rest these days just to let things heal. Of course, I was given a prescription for a ridiculous syrup, steroid and antibiotic "just in case" and sent home. Because of the coughing, I now have a cracked rib. It is really pleasant.
Friday Sophie had her first official public freak out session. I am appreciative she waited until she was three to give me this precious moment, but I could have waited longer. It occurred, no doubt, at our bi-weekly swim lesson which we return to again in the morning... fingers crossed. It was a valid freak out, with a little fear of the deep part of the pool, but it was still a long walk to the car.
Saturday I had my first meeting being on the Alumni Board at Huntingdon College, my alma mater. It was fun being able to see some faces I haven't seen in a while, and will be fun to help for the next three years on the board. It was not fun, however, to hide my hacking cough or cracked rib for three hours. But, I did, and called Lee to meet me with the girls to attend the Huntingdon football game. And this is where I think the appreciation part of the story comes in.
As I waited for the girls to arrive with the stroller, I got a chance to talk on the phone to a few people without any interruptions, sat in the car for a minute without being asked why we weren't moving and where were the cows and what kind of tree is that and can I look at this silly face and can we get ice cream and, and well you get the idea. Anyway, I forgot how nice it was to sometimes just be alone. Then, Lee pulls up.
He had THE LOOK. The look I think I have 90% of the time. The "I must wear my sunglasses even though it isn't sunny but to cover my crazed eyes from the morning". I imagine that if Lee had long hair like mine it would have been up in a pitiful ponytail, even though he would have attempted to fix it and just gave up. I smiled and asked how their morning was and he just handed the bag of stuff that accompanies our girls at every moment and just said, "Oh, my. I feel like I have been frustrated since 8. What is their deal?" I think he attempted baths, a trip to the grocery store, and that is it. But, in girly-world, that is a marathon of events. He had them in adorable outfits, and forgot one set of bloomers. No big deal, right? The funny thing was his reaction of this minute detail is exactly what would have been my reaction had I done the same thing. He immediately looked defeated in his efforts and switched bloomers around so the one without would be less noticeable. I had to had a smile here. I hate he had a frustrating morning, but I am 1) thankful he probably realizes now why some nights I am so tired and so on edge I can't think straight, and 2) thankful it isn't just me who gets this way. But, when we returned home from the day, Lee did say that once the girls were asleep, I should go get a pedicure. Is that because of my terrible pain that he felt sorry for, or is it because he realized his morning was a typical 9 hour episode for me? Either way, I'll take the pedicure.
Don't get me wrong. I think our girls are great. For the most part, I am tired from playing games and keeping up with the fun-ness that comes with toddlers. We don't have many days or weeks that are filled with timeouts or trying moments. It is just keeping up that wears you down. I am living on the motto : I will sleep later.
P.S. I did not go get the pedicure. I opted for a trip to Hobby Lobby and Target by myself, a mecca for me to not rush out of either store b/c we either knocked something down or they were out of toilet paper.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Margie Walters
- I am a stay at home mom of two adorable girls, two un-adorable dogs, and a wonderful husband.
No comments:
Post a Comment